    SubjectRe: Anybody got 2.4.0 running on a 386 ?
    On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > math-FPU emulation takes up quite some space in the kernel image, so this
    > could indeed be the case. Could you disable any non-boot-essential
    > subsystem (networking, or the serial driver, or anything else), to
    > significantly reduce the image size?

    I tried this: apparently no effect. However, there may be hardware
    issues involved (see below).

    > not really. Could you write a small function that just reads the kernel
    > image from the first symbol to the last one, and see whether it crashes?
    > (read it into a volatile variable to make sure GCC reads it.)

    I tried this: Reading the entire image never caused any crashes.

    However, I did have some (rare) instances of the kernel booting
    successfully. Then it would fail again, booting the very same image
    that had worked before.

    I am beginning to suspect that I may be dealing with flaky hardware.
    (I'm working from home today and I only have access to one of my 386
    specimen here).

    I guess I'll better shut up until I can double check on
    some other 386 boards tomorrow....

    In the meantime, it would be helpful if anyone who has successfully
    booted a 2.4.0 kernel on a 386 could report this to the list.

    Robert Kaiser email:
    Am Pfaffenstein 14
    D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany fax: (49) 6136 9948-10

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:7.752 seconds]