    SubjectRe: Chipsets, DVD-RAM, and timeouts....
    On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > as it apparently makes CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB a complete no-op?
    > >
    > > Exactly what it is designed to do, Ignore Validity Bits, because the whole
    > > damn messedup the rules between ATA-4 and ATA-6
    >
    > I think the question is more - so why not lose the ifdef
    > -

    Because there are the exceptions that get it correct based on the level of
    ATA support reported in the IDENTIFY page.

    When I state that it is all screwed up, I mean in a contigious nature of
    the Standard. The rules for ATA-4 with ATA-4 limited support is correct
    as is ATA-5 with ATA-5, and ATA-6 with ATA-6, but ATA-4 rules do not mix
    with ATA-5 nor ATA-6. This is the mess in front of me to sort.

    So we default a full test of both bits 13 and 14, but it you have a
    hardware combination that fails the rules.

    ATA-4 is HOST side and Device side based on Bit 13 only
    ATA-5 is HOST side and Device side based on Bit 14 only
    ATA-6 is HOST side and Device side based on Bit 14 and Bit 13

    ATA-6 is the correct method...

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    CTO Timpanogas Research Group
    EVP Linux Development, TRG
    Linux ATA Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:90.548 seconds]