    SubjectRe: Notebook disk spindown
    On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Tim Brunne wrote:

    > I think Jamie is right. The nice feature of the old
    > bdflushd deamon was, that disk writes were possible
    > without spin up of the disk, because of RAM
    > buffering. This is achived again by patching the
    > kernel later than 2.2.10.

    It is still possible with current kernels. As Jamie pointed out, just use
    noflushd, available from every debian mirror in the woody tree, or from This will provide you
    with the same functionality as the mobile bdflush or update versions on
    earlier kernels.

    Still the other proposals regarding noatime or upping the limits on
    bdflush params make sense and can be used orthogonal to or without
    noflushd. But note that there's an entirely user-level solution
    without the need to hack the kernel.

    GNU/Linux Audio Mechanics -
    Cutting Edge Office -
    GPG Key ID 89BF7E2B -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.026 / U:7.456 seconds]