    SubjectRe: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module
    On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:46:58AM +0200, Martin Dalecki wrote:
    > > I've done an implementation of some of the Win32 "system calls" in a kernel
    > > module in an attempt to speed up Wine.
    > Please by no way don't include this patch into the official tree.
    > It's insane due to the following:
    > 1. Linux is UNIX not NT... (in terms of API)

    I also don't think this patch should go into the official tree, but in my
    case it's because it's too closely related to the WINE userspace libraries;
    it should become part of the WINE tree instead. (Note that this is how other
    packages such as ALSA and lm_sensors are maintained.)

    However, I don't see any problems with having a kernel module to emulate a
    different API. We already have code to emulate different UNIX APIs in the
    IBCS system; having some support for emulating the Win32 system call
    interface could potentially be useful.

    > 2. WINE in itself is barely usefull - even in fact non existant, since
    > there is no official stable release out there.

    Flamebait, but I don't think this is true. WINE is very useful---plenty of
    apps and games run on it, and it can be a real lifesaver if you get thrown a
    self-extracting archive that unzip chokes on. (Note that Corel are using
    WINE for Wordperfect Office under Unix now.) WINE's still-ALPHA status
    reflects the caution of its developers rather than the quality of its code;
    note that plenty of other packages (lesstif, kbd, WindowMaker, ORBit, ALSA,
    bin86, esd, links etc.) still retain "alpha" (<1.0) version numbers despite
    being stable, reliable and widely-used.

    Adam Sampson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.029 / U:35.868 seconds]