SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
On 6 Sep 2000, at 14:03, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <39B6A683.3F75DC9D@timpanogas.com>,

> >Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> Think of rabbits. And think of how the wolf helps them in the end. Not
> by being nice, no. But the rabbits breed, and they are better for having
> to worry a bit.

No matter how much they think about it, or how smart they are,
they'll alway be food for wolves unless they develop the ability to
use tools. It isn't smarts and thinking, though they certainly help,
it's the ability to make and use tools that does it.

There are all kinds of tools. In many cases you don't need to use
them. War and Peace was written with a pen. There are people today
that refuse to use computers for writeing, and they have good
arguments, but if Tolstoy was born today, he'd probably use a Word
processor, and he'd probably have written a sequel! It probably
wouldn't have been the same book, though, and this is not to say it
would be any better or worse. At least one writer that I'm aware of,
output slowed considerably when he switched to a word processor
because it became so easy to edit, that he spent much more time
tweaking his work.

Most of the people who write and don't use a word processing 'tool'
are people who didn't grow up with them.

Linux is really just a hobby for a few people. The sort of people who
insist on climbing cliffs without safety gear. This is ok. It's your
hobby, but I think that people should understand that it _is_ a hobby.

------------------Mailed via Pegasus 3.12 & Mercury 1.44---------------
A.J.Scott@casdn.neu.edu Fax (617)373-2942
Andrew Scott Tel (617)373-5278 _
Northeastern University--138 Meserve Hall / \ /
College of Arts & Sciences-Deans Office / \ \ /
Boston, Ma. 02115 / \_/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.223 / U:0.456 seconds]