    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Apparently, if you follow the arguments, not having a kernel debugger
    > leads to various maladies:
    > - you crash when something goes wrong, and you fsck and it takes forever
    > and you get frustrated.
    > - people have given up on Linux kernel programming because it's too hard
    > and too time-consuming
    > - it takes longer to create new features.
    > And nobody has explained to me why these are _bad_ things.

    There are those, but there are others, most of which are so obvious[1]
    we're not mentioning them, assuming you're familiar with them too. I
    usually eschew debuggers as well, but I'm beginning to suspect that you've
    spent so much of your programming life immersed in the kernel that you
    haven't used a debugger enough to know what sorts of things it's actually
    good for. Not all the world's a nail, but there are times when the bigger
    hammer approach is the right one.

    One of these days you should give revision control a try too. Not to
    mention bug tracking. :P

    [1] eg I've found many a compiler bug in 5 minutes of single stepping that
    days of eyeballing source and adding printfs failed to discover.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.020 / U:8.620 seconds]