    SubjectRe: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module
    David Howells writes:

    > I've done an implementation of some of the Win32 "system calls"
    > in a kernel module in an attempt to speed up Wine.

    Oh my. How dare you! I like it. :-)

    > The preliminary benchmarks that I made, while not very real-world
    > since I don't think I have managed to implement enough for that yet,
    > seem to indicate that in some tests, I can beat Win2000 by 20% on
    > syscall latency, and Wine by 900%.

    If you implement enough to run the common Windows benchmarks,
    we can have loads of fun.

    > Other methods that have been mentioned include persuading Linus to
    > reserve a syscall number specifically for this purpose, and having
    > the module supply a handler for it.

    If this stuff isn't too insane, just make it available for all
    software to use. That includes regular SPARC Linux executables, etc.
    Use a regular system call without a module. I suppose you ought
    to have a config option if this gets to be over 200 kB of bloat.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.019 / U:8.312 seconds]