    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 wrote:

    > If you'd read what I wrote in it's entirety, you'd know that I'm very well
    > aware of this perspective.

    I read it. I just didn't agree with the level of importance I felt you
    were assigning to corporate use.

    > I don't need to have the volumes of idiocy
    > which come out of some management pointed out to me.

    > At the same time my
    > entire point was that I think there's some valid business concerns that
    > they have /after/ removing all the crap, and that I wouldn't be surprised
    > if the market went against linux and in favor of other operating systems
    > that addressed them.

    They should use what is best for them.

    > And if you think I don't understand what Linux wrote you are very wrong.

    I think it's obvious you understand what Linus wrote. I think you
    misunderstand the design focus of the Linux kernel.

    > Perhaps to put a better spin on things what I should state is that I
    > understand what Linus is trying to do, and I'm merely pointing out that
    > he's really not filling the gap of supplying an IT-friendly open source
    > OS.

    I don't believe he ever stated that he wanted to do that.

    > He's providing an OS for developers. Cool. Fine. No worries. But

    It would be more accurately to say that he's creating a GPLed Unix
    compatible kernel which utilizes the best (in his unhumble
    opinion) available technologies while remaining reasonably compatible. The
    strongest development direction appears to be towards long-term
    sustainability and stability (vs short term) and a focus on features that
    are usable today (vs experimental stuff).

    > that does leave a void, in my opinion. Perhaps disributions adding
    > patches to the kernel will fill this void, but I tend to think it wont
    > scale in the end. We'll either see forking, see another OS like FreeBSD
    > fill the void, or (worst case) Solaris.

    None of those are necessarily bad things.

    I think Linuses design decisions will pay off in the long run. When the
    race has no ending line, who cares if you have a slower start.

    > I don't know why this viewpoint creates such hostile responses from some
    > people. I'm pointing out that Linux is not everything for everyone.
    > Heresy.

    I certainly hope you didn't see my response as hostile. It certainly wasn't
    intended to be that way.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.025 / U:39.416 seconds]