SubjectRe: Fwd: ACPI & I4L irq confilct: bug reporting on kernel 2.4.0-test8-pre4
Date
On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Guido Trentalancia schrieb:
>
> Hello Guido,
>
> > >Hi !
> > >This is a bug reporting, included are the output of various /proc file
> > > on my system:
> > >Motherboard: ASUS P2B-F with the latest bios bx2f113.awd (microcode
> > > update) ISDN: Winbond based card (Hisax type=36)
> > >
> > >The problem is that if I compile the kernel (2.4.0-test8
> > > pre1,pre2,pre3,pre4) with both ACPI support and ISDN support there is a
> > > conflict in irq 9. I think ACPI first get irq 9 and then Hisax can't
> > > get it. Consequentially Hisax doesn't work if ACPI support is enabled.
> > >With ACPI turned off, everything works fine as with previous kernel
> > > test6 and test5 and ....
> > >Many thanx.
> >
> > after further testing the problem seems to be in IRQ SHARING.
> > in fact, with acpi disabled, once the hisax has got irq 9 (it is not
> > possible for card type 36 to change the irq), i can load the ethernet
> > modules 8390 and ne2k-pci for my ethernet PCI NE2000 card, but the
> > ne2k-pci driver also set its irq=9, so everytime i try to do:
> >
> > ifconfig eth0 up
> >
> > i get:
> >
> > SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > why don't add the irq parameter to the hisax winbond driver and to the
> > ne2k-pci driver ?
>
> there is no need or even sense to add such parameter, as irqs are
> assigned by the bios or OS for PCI type cards. The driver is supplied
> with the selected irq which is normally assigned during boot by the
> systems bios.
> You should change the bios PCI/Pnp setup to reflect your needs.
> I don't know if the Winbond driver supports IRQ-sharing, but other i4l
> drivers like the HFC-PCI which I maintain allow irq sharing without any
> problems even if 3 cards share it.
> So please setup your bios correctly and everything will work fine.
>
> > p.s.
> > my motherboard has pci slot 4 and slot 5 condivided and the isdn card is
> > on slot 4 while ethernet on slot 5.... so one may say "change your
> > motherboard", but everything worked fine with previous kernels (ACPI,
> > Hisax, ethernet)....
> >
> > Please help me.
> > Many thanx.
> > Please answer only via email: guido.trentalancia@tin.it
> > --
> > bye,
> > Guido Trentalancia
>
> Werner

my bios irq settings are currently set to AUTO.
i don't know why 3 resources (ne2k-pci, the winbond isdn module and the
acpi) want the same irq 9 whereas there are a lot of free irqs...
the manteiner of the ACPI driver sayd his driver is ok for irq sharing....
what about ne2k and winbond isdn ? i don't know how to contact the
manteiners of this drivers....

Summarizing the problem....
My system load modules in this order:
1) ACPI
2) ISDN (Windbond - HiSax)
3) RealTek PCI NE2000 ethernet

-If I compile the kernel with ACPI on, step 2 fails....
-If I compile the kernel with ACPI off step 2 is ok (hisax modules loaded on
irq 9) but ne2k-pci conflicts is also assigned to irq 9, correctly loaded
but with the SIOCFIFFLAGS error and unusable with ifconfig.

My bios only allow me to change irq setting from AUTO to irq X (on slot
4 (isdn) and 5 (eth0) simultaneously). I tried to set it from AUTO to 12
but it didn't resolve the conflict...

The most strange thing is that with previous 2.4.0 test kernels everything
worked fine....

Many thanx.
--
bye,