    Alexander Viro writes:

    > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
    >
    > > Jamie Lokier writes:
    > > >
    > > > Sorry, there's a GCC policy decision against putting it into a
    > > > shared library.
    > >
    > > Why?
    >
    > Not-so-wild guess: GPL issues, mixed with serious lack of enthisiasm about
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    That was my guess. Politics. Ideology. Bah.

    > making the internal API frozen by exposure to library users.

    An exercise in decent API design. BFD.

    > Besides, there is another issue: WTF is wrong with good old pipes?

    In this context, I agree. It's not as if there's an awful lot of data
    being thrown around. Compilation costs are likely to dominate over
    in-core copies.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.040 / U:1.288 seconds]