SubjectRE: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux
Date
> What IS this urge to be handicapped
> when trying to debug the most important pieces of what gets
> delivered on the distribution CDROMs. Is it, "I'm so hairy chested
> that I can code with one metaphorical arm tied behind my
> equally cliched back?"

There are those that like to visualize things and there are
those that like to experience them. Neither is _necessarily_
wrong but Linux tends to have more of the former, and the latter
have yet to write what they consider to be a good kernel debugger.
(Yes, a debugger is a tool for _experiencing_ not a tool for
_visualizing_)

> A good debugger is a very
> good leveraging agent. I can cut a 2x4 with a largish pocket knife,
> in theory. (I have never wasted the time.) In a pinch I have cut a
> 2X4 with a hand saw. I can see that if I wanted to do this for any
> serious work power tools are required. The same logic seems
> to fall into the programming realm.

I disagree. No one here is dumb enough to use a wholely inappropriate
tool for a particular task. But using a debugger is often (but not
always) like sawing bits off your 2x4 until it happens to fit the
gap. What you need to do is to understand the problem parameters,
measure them, mark your 2x4, then cut using whatever tool is best
suited to the job. In woodwork the results tend to be superior :-)

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.162 / U:0.724 seconds]