SubjectRe: Availability of kdb

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > >
> > > Think of rabbits. And think of how the wolf helps them in the end. Not
> > > by being nice, no. But the rabbits breed, and they are better for having
> > > to worry a bit.
> >
> > You know those huge, sharp teeth on the wolf? Want to make them longer
> > and sharper? Put in a kernel debugger, Linus, and the wolf will be even
> > more ferocious. I appreciate the honest, open response, BTW.
>
> No, no.
>
> The debugger is akin to giving the _rabbits_ a bazooka. The poor wolf
> doesn't get any sharper teeth.
>
> Yeah, it sure helps against wolves. They explode in pretty patterns of
> read drops flying _everywhere_. Cool.

Darren had to help me get up off the floor I was laughing so hard when I
saw this. 10 points dude, good response....:-)

> But it doesn't help against a rabbit gene pool that is slowly
> deteriorating because there is nothing to keep them from breeding, and no
> darwin to make sure that it's the fastest and strongest that breeds.
>
> You mentioned how NT has the nicest debugger out there.

MANOS has the nicest debugger at present -- and soon you will have it
too. Thay say that in human men, only 1% of our sperm are capable of
fertilizing an egg, as opposed to chimpanzees and other primates, whiose
sperm is almost 98% viable. Scientists state this is because since
human evolution is no longer governed by natural selection but by social
norms, men with inferior sperm were able to reproduce in ages past in
the context of human society and that's why all human males have weak
sperm these days -- nothing to weed out abberant genes -- which is why
there's male pattern baldness, heart disease, etc. in the human gene
pool today. I will give this some thought.

What Alan said about hardware is valid, however, no matter how much Zen
meditation one does, it does not make you "one with the 3C509 card".
Hardware problems require a debugger or logic analyzer to fix. I never
heard of anyone correcting timing problems with a PCI chipset by
reviewing the chipset layouts :-) :-) :-)

:-)

Jeff

> Contemplate it.
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.222 / U:0.208 seconds]