SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
> Ehh? And exactly _how_ would a debugger help it.
>
> Especially as Alan quoted an example of a driver bug that didn't get fixed
> for several months because the maintainer didn't have the hardware.
>
> What would a debugger have done?

Let the end user give me essential answers on what was happening at the failure
point. Think of it as a crash dump tool with extra controls

> Testing is important for device drivers. Debuggers are not.

When was the last time you wrote a device driver for some warped piece of PCI
technology that didn't work like the book says and for which you can neither
get more info or pop over to the next cubicle and ask the hardware designer ?

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.183 / U:2.140 seconds]