On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> Add "and that broken code gets fixed in utterly bogus ways 20 versions
> down the road, when nobody remembers WTF had happened". Repeat several
> times (and rarely-used parts _will_ accumulate such crap) and you've got
> Lovecraftian beasts lurking in the tree.

"Lovecraftian beasts". I like it.

To some degree that also ends up showing that not many people seem to care
about that particular beast. In the end, it might be phased out
altogether - something that _has_ happened, exactly for these kinds of

Who still remembers xiafs? We have 33 different filesystems in the kernel
tree - something that is quite impressive, and something that I don't
think anybody else has ever tried to support. But we could have had 34..