SubjectRe: Still ext2-corruption in test8-pre5 (incl. OOPS)
Umm..what .. you get back here this instant .. Linus..come back here ...

Just kidding.

Just wanted to throw I out that I JUST experienced the same oops with netscape. I'mgoing to wait until Al submits a patch that he has gone over to see if it fixes the problem.

Also wanted to ask (because I'm still learning) if anyone knew which files have the potential to become corrupt. Is it only open files or can it also be files that aren't being accessed. The reason I ask is because my netscape prefs file contained half of my missing mailbox and I couldn't recall if I had opened netscape when the last corruption occured.

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:14:02PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> How about this patch?
>
> NOTE NOTE NOTE! I'm on my way home now to be a family man, so I've not
> actually tested it AT ALL. You have been warned.
>
> The basic approach should be ok, and it avoids using the write path at all
> because it isn't actually needed. The truncate() case is, in the end, much
> simpler than writing, exactly because we don't need to allocate any new
> blocks etc.
>
> We just grab the page, populate it with buffers if required, and find the
> one buffer that we need to clear out. We clear it out and mark it dirty.
> End of story.
>
> NOTE: Udo, because I haven't actually tested this (it may not actually
> compile etc small details), you probably shouldn't actually test this out
> as-is unless you are _really_ daring and don't mind fixing up after me.
> It's more a "this is how it should work" kind of thing.
>
> Al? Mind giving it a quick look?
>
> Linus
>
> ---

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
mhaque@haque.net

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/
batmanppc@themes.org