    Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: What the Heck? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]
    On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Ricky Beam wrote:

    [snip]
    > As an aside, they also have/had agressive transparent web proxying in
    > the network... everything on port 80 coming and going is/was cached.
    > EVERYTHING.

    Ugh. If bandwidth is a problem, charge them by the Gb and let them save
    money by reducing their usage via the W3 cache.

    > One could say this about SPAM in general. SMTP was designed as on open
    > transport. Now we have to go around and board up the windows so no one
    > can see inside.

    SMTP wasn't designed to expect people to 'steal' another persons machine
    and bandwidth as a third-party exploder.

    > They aren't rewriting your packects; they just simply force you to connect
    > to _their_ mail servers for incoming and outgoing mail.

    Alan was suggesting that providers use transproxy to filter mail.

    > >As far as broadband service goes, just give the damn users fixed IPs and
    > >let the opt-in blacklists handle them.
    >
    > ARIN (and other registries) don't like "static IP" ISPs.

    Thats not true. I'm quite familiar with what ARIN wants, and I've got more
    then a few IP addresses under my belt (GFM1-ARIN). They basically want you
    to have a single address per possible simultaneous system. For broadband
    users, that would mean every user. For dialup with a typical 8:1
    user:modem ratio, it's a little different.

    > Besides, the
    > provider wants to be able to charge a s***load for a static address even
    > when their DHCP hardware already is configured to prefer reassigning the
    > same address -- people have been known to have the same address for months
    > even after prolonged down time.

    Sounds like a problem in their business model.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.047 / U:1.456 seconds]