    SubjectRe: What is up with Redhat 7.0?
    On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 03:58:20PM +0100, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    > > a broken, experimental, unreleased compiler as if it were an official
    > > version. Worse, creating a maintainance nightmare for almost everybody by
    >
    > They released a supported ex-Cygnus people approved compiler.

    Which still makes it an broken, experimental, unreleased and unofficial
    compiler, with all the consequences I said.

    > possible, but 2.95 isnt binary compatible with anything past or future and

    Not true, but even if it were, 2.95 is compatible to all other
    distributions, a fine point easy to overlook. And the next gcc release
    will be worse, so where is the logic behind choosing a compiler not
    compatibly to ANYTHING, except if trying to orce customers to stick to
    redhat?

    > Want to complain about the USB code, flame the SuSE people who did the backport
    > work first, or perhaps you'd prefer to insult the volunteers who wrote most of
    > the USB code initially ?

    You somehow miss the relations, unfortunately. The usb code if
    self-contained and does not affect every program compiled with it.

    > Want to complain about the DRM/AGP code, then flame Xfree86 and
    > precision insight who did that work, many of them as volunteers ..

    Same here.

    > to flame SuSE, Conectiva, and especially Mandrake as well - all of them made
    > up of hardworking people trying to do what they think is best for Linux. I

    Indeed. So why does redhat so a remarkably *bad* job at the same? SuSE for
    example did *not* make their distribution incompatible to all others to
    try to tie customers to them.

    > *want* people to be prepared to ship new and innovative things.

    gcc-2.96 is not innovative, it simply does not exist, only in the
    unofficial redhat version. So the best thing one could say is that redhat
    forked their version of gcc. That's not innovative, that's a marketing
    trick:

    gcc-2.96 (remember that this thing is not precisely defined as no such
    release exists) produces worse code, has more bugs and is less compatible
    than 2.95, so where is the innovation? In copying marketing tricks from
    other companies? Very innovative for a gnu/linux company indeed.

    > you really want a world where you cannot buy a distribution with 2.2 that
    > has Reiserfs because Alan Cox refused to merge it with the mainstream ?

    It would be better than a world where I cannot switch to another
    distribution because vendors only support redhat and the binaries will not
    run on the "competitors" linux' distros, forcing me to use redhat binutils,
    redhat gcc, redhat libc and so on.

    This is *exactly* what is happening with redhat. Comparing this mess with
    an usb backport that does not at all cause these problems is missing the
    point completely.

    > > making redhat binary incompatibly to other linux distributions, therefore
    > > effectively forking gnu/linux in a way unseen before.(*)
    >
    > The fact this was done to help binary compatibility aside ?

    Well, if redhat really tried to do this they failed miserably. OTOH, maybe
    the redhat people doing that were drugged, because every child could
    deduce that using an experimental snapshot that is has a non-fixed and
    changing ABI will not help binary compatibility.

    > Let me metion the Nazi's. Now can the thread die ?

    Aren't you paid by redhat? ;->

    --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.026 / U:34.472 seconds]