    SubjectRe: We interrupt you regularly scheduled catfight for.. Linux 2.2.18pre13
    On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 07:30:42PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > Forget distributions. There is a very, very good reason to have the choice
    > of cc used in kernel builds uncoupled from the userland one. IMO kgcc is a
    > misnomer (kcc would be better), but the idea is sound - you don't want to
    > deal with the miscompiled kernel while you are porting the userland to
    > another version of compiler. You also don't want it once you've are done
    > with the userland stuff - level of dependency on gcc details is much
    > higher in case of the kernel.

    I have no problem with that although I didn't think about it yet.
    What I disklike is having magic in the Makefile to find the right compiler.
    Probably we could just put CC=kcc in the Makefile and everyone would
    have to arrange it right.
    (This is also a good way to make the newbies the documentation ;))

    Christoph

    --
    Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.