    SubjectRe: zero-copy TCP

    On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 wrote:

    > If we go for a Linux-specific solution anyway, maybe one could add
    > another send{,to,msg} flag that makes send*(2)'s buffer access
    > non-atomic. That way, the kernel only needs to make sure the pages
    > don't disappear, but there's no need for expensive MMU games.
    > Of course, this would give applications a way for generating packets
    > with an incorrect TCP/UDP checksum, [...]

    i believe such zero-copy send should only be allowed for drivers which can
    guarantee correct checksums. (ie. cards which do Tx-checksums) The other
    drivers will still copy. I dont think this is a problem - the number of
    cards that can do scatter-gather DMA but cannot do TX-checksumming is
    rather low. (i only know about the Tulip.) All modern cards do
    TX-checksumming and scatter-gather DMA.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.019 / U:7.644 seconds]