    SubjectRe: zero-copy TCP

    On 3 Sep 2000, Jes Sorensen wrote:

    > At CERN we had a bunch of applications where this would be a win, data
    > aquisition servers taking data in from on some custom hardware and
    > sending out data over the wire on another card. You never really want
    > to touch data in memory with the CPU but because of the lack of
    > write() zero copy you end up having to do so.

    yep i agree - in this case a receivefile() implementation would be handy
    (we are 100% ready in 2.4 to introduce it - from the pagecache and VFS
    point of view, it's just not there yet), thus you could receivefile() your
    data into a temporary file, and sendfile() it to the other card, without
    ever touching data. This is faster than any zero-copy read()/write(),
    because it can do things straight in the pagecache, without having to deal
    with user-space page mappings.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:147.844 seconds]