    SubjectRe: zero-copy TCP
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 05:22:44AM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > > I just thought I'd mention that you can do zero copy TCP in and out
    > > *without* any page marking schemes. All you need is a network card with
    > > quite a lot of RAM and some intelligence. An Alteon could do it, with
    > > extra RAM or an impressively underloaded network.
    > The big problem with that is that you end up with not having a single
    > stack, but N + 1 (N being the number of intelligent cards) stacks.
    > Mainteance nightmare.

    No, the stack stays in the kernel. That's the beauty of this scheme.

    There are any number of proposed "put the stack on the intelligent card"
    schemes out there, and they all suffer from the same problem: it's not
    quite the stack you want + maintenance nightmare.

    For the scheme I am referring to, all protocol handling is done by the
    kernel, using the normal code. The card does have a little
    intelligence: it implements a cache of data payloads, and can do
    checksums. That's all. (It doesn't know about TCP or even IP for example).

    Run time is like this:

    1. write/sendto

    user space calls write()
    create skbuffs as usual including data part, but mark as "cached on NIC"
    DMA user space data directly to NIC (needs driver hook)
    schedule if worthwhile
    DMA completes, return

    2. read/recvfrom

    user space calls read()
    look for skbuffs as usual
    if skbuff says "data part cached on NIC", DMA it from NIC
    schedule if worthwhile
    DMA completes, return

    3. NIC driver xmit function

    if skbuff says "data part cached on NIC", there's simply less to DMA

    4. NIC driver receive function

    fetch enough data from the NIC for header processing.
    (NIC may help minimise this, but a constant is good enough)
    mark new skbuff as "data prt cached on NIC"

    I wouldn't be surprised to find even some of the older hardware NICs can
    be made to work this way. Relatively little is required of the driver
    -- just the ability to manage the card's memory independently of packet
    I/O on the wire.

    ps. Just to address Alan's point: data is never accessed directly over
    the PCI bus. Perhaps he's thinking of another scheme.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:22.076 seconds]