    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.0-test8 and swap/journaling fs on raid
    On Friday September 29, wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Are you sure there are no deadlock-when-low-on-memory bugs
    > > hiding somewhere? swap over nbd also *seems* to work.

    Raid preallocates all the memory that it needs.
    When raid1 runs out of pre-allocated memory, it will try to see if
    kmalloc(GFP_BUFFER) has any to spare and will use it transiently, but
    it copes quite well if kmalloc doesn't provide any.
    I think this is adequate to fend of deadlock-when-low-on-memory

    But surely, deadlock-when-low-on-memory problems will hurt normal
    filesystem activity just as much as swap activity -- is that right?

    > Good that you mention this. I should look into this some
    > day, preferably in the very near future.
    > (added to my VM TODO list)

    Always happy to have others do code reviews!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.019 / U:40.004 seconds]