SubjectRE: Linux kernel modules development in C++
Date

[snip]

> When Linux started, there was _no_ decent freeware C++
> compiler around.

IMO, it was worse even than that. C++ itself hadn't stablized as a language
to the point where it would have been wise to use on a kernel at that time.

The language only really stablized in '99, I think. It's too soon to tell
whether it would be usable for kernel development, although various projects
that have tried to use it in an OO way have floundered for one reason or
another.

BTW, C++ isn't really a pure OO language, it is a language that has
facilities that support a wide range of programming paradigms. One of the
things that makes it hard to use effectively is taking that into account
when using its various facilities.

Marty

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.034 / U:0.672 seconds]