    SubjectRe: [patch] enabling APIC and NMI watchdog on UP systems
    Date
    On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:19:29 +0200 (CEST),
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    >the attached patch (against test9-pre7) is a cleaned up version Keir
    >Fraser's APIC-on-UP patch, and adds the enabling code of Keith Owens which
    >programs P6 performance counter 0 as an NMI. (i simplified the code alot -
    >there is no problem at all with getting NMIs from two sources, and it's
    >not necessary to make it configurable.)

    Using performance counter 1 for NMI conflicts with using the
    performance counters for tuning. IMHO it is better to default to NMI
    off for UP so we do not disturb people who are doing performance
    monitoring. That then requires a mechanism for configuring the UP NMI
    and activating it on the fly, which complicates the code.

    AFAICT your patch will not generate local APIC NMIs fast enough. From
    kdb v1.5-beta2.

    int set_nmi_counter_local(void)
    {
    extern unsigned long cpu_khz;
    if (!(boot_cpu_data.x86_capability & X86_FEATURE_APIC))
    return(-EIO);
    if (nmi_watchdog_source && nmi_watchdog_source != 1)
    return(0); /* Not using local APIC */
    return wrmsr_eio(PERFCTR1, -(cpu_khz/HZ*1000), 0);
    }

    set_nmi_counter_local() has to be called after every NMI to reset the
    counter. Otherwise the counter is zero (it just overflowed) and will
    not generate another NMI until it loops all the way round to 2**40
    again. If you are going to reprogram PERFCTR1 for every NMI then you
    do not want to do that unless PERFCTR1 really is the NMI source, again
    it will conflict with real use of the performance counters so we need
    to track the source and make it configurable.

    I am basing this on Intel ia32 arch vol3, 24319202.pdf

    15.6.2. Monitoring Counter Overflow
    When interrupted by a counter overflow, the interrupt handler needs to
    perform the following actions:

    * Save the instruction pointer (EIP register), code-segment selector,
    TSS segment selector, counter values and other relevant information
    at the time of the interrupt.

    * Reset the counter to its initial setting and return from the
    interrupt.

    If you tested a UP compile on an SMP box, you probably got NMI via the
    IO-APIC which hides the lack of counter reset. I had to hack
    smp_scan_config() to immediately return(0) so it would not pick up the
    SMP config and not use the IO-APIC for NMI.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.036 / U:90.424 seconds]