    SubjectRe: [patch] enabling APIC and NMI watchdog on UP systems
    Date
    On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:03:30 +0200 (CEST),
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
    >
    >> [...] You prefer to make NMI for UP mandatory, change the existing
    >> behaviour and force people who use performance counters to turn off
    >> EVNTSEL1 themselves. [...]
    >
    >no, AFAIK there is no performance counter support in the vanilla kernel,
    >but there is an NMI oopser.

    arch/i386/kernel/msr.c has been there since at least 2.4.0-test1. A
    web search reveals a lot of other patches for performance counter
    libraries on Linux. http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Rabbit/ is a
    good start, it indicates that people are already using the counters.

    >And even if there was performance counter
    >support, having a default NMI oopser on UP *is* a much higher priority.

    Agreed, having the support is a high priority. Changing the default
    behaviour of the performance counters is where we differ.

    >and there is no forcing here. nmi_watchdog=0 on bootup and the NMI
    >watchdog is disabled. (right now this is not enforced for the APIC-NMI,
    >but thats a detail.)

    I originally did that but it users have to tweak their boot files
    whenever they install a new kernel. Making it a config option
    propagates the user's requirements from one kernel build to another.

    Let's just agree to disagree and put your patch in the mainline kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.023 / U:92.344 seconds]