    SubjectRe: Linux kernel modules development in C++

    > Well, people said the same thing to me when I started writing OS/2 drivers in
    > C++. Nowadays, it's very common for non-*nix operating systems, especially
    > Windows.

    You call windows an OS ?? I call it a bunch of function calls with way to
    many arguments written by a bunch of ***** that like to nag people instead
    of making an OS stable.

    > The real advantage comes when you're writing a driver where the design is
    > inherently object-oriented. I can't give an example in Linux, because I've
    > only been writing Linux drivers for 6 months, but in OS/2, there are tons of
    > places where a little OO lovin' goes a long way. My initial use was in
    > multimedia drivers. In OS/2, the adio drivers need to keep track of multiple
    > "streams" of audio data. OS/2's advanced multimedia subsystem lets multiple
    > applications open audio streams simultaneously, and the driver has to keep
    > track of them. If it has the hardware, it can play the streams simultaneously.
    > Otherwise, it has to manage stopping one stream to play the other.

    Agree, OO could make life easier.

    Some arguments why not to use it in the kernel :

    - C++ gives overhead. With something like a kernel that's unwanted.
    - Things like exception handling is hard to do in a kernel.
    - The're a lot more people that know C than C++

    And I probably forgot a few :)

    > I've oversimplified it, but that's the general idea.
    >
    > This design is inherently object-oriented. The old C code for audio drivers
    > was horribly convoluted. When I rewrote it in C++, there was less code, it was
    > easier to maintain, and ther resulting binary was actually smaller and faster!
    > And that's all because the language fit the design better.

    Igmar

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.024 / U:0.284 seconds]