    SubjectRe: Linux kernel modules development in C++

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > Timur Tabi wrote:
    > > The real advantage comes when you're writing a driver where the design is
    > > inherently object-oriented. I can't give an example in Linux...
    >
    > The VFS is inherently object-oriented. Each filesystem works by
    > overriding a few methods stored in function table structs. The MM is
    > well on its way to being object-oriented - check out 'struct
    > address_space'.

    Check also vm_area_struct - that's what memory contexts consist of
    (user memory consists of objects that correspond to areas; pagein,
    pageout, etc. are methods of these objects; mmap() and friends
    create/manipulate/destroy them). File mappings (both shared and
    private) are derived classes, ditto for attached shm segment, etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.020 / U:60.192 seconds]