SubjectRe: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > * Win32 access/share flags would have to be retained in the file
> > struct, and the inode struct would have to maintain a list of these.
>
> OK. Problem?
>
> The list would be NULL most of the time. If Linux apps start
> using this feature a lot, then it can be optimized.

Then these apps are non-portable to other Unices and either get fixed or
get rm'd. Period.

> > * A file handle's view of the filename shouldn't get changed
> > even if the file is renamed whilst open.
>
> Excuse me? Does Win32 not allow rename of open files?

Yes. In case you've missed that, Win32 is misdesigned crap. It's one thing
to add binary compatibility _if_ it doesn't affect the native stuff, but
merging that abortion into the native API Just Is Not Going To Happen.

The longer I'm looking at that thread the more it looks like an attempt to
merge incompatible models. Last time that happened we got Missed'em'V and
that's going to be _much_ worse. Mixing v7 with CP/M gave DOS. List goes
on and on and there is _nothing_ but shit on it. Folks, get real - if you
want NT you know where to find it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.082 / U:0.420 seconds]