    SubjectRe: the new VMt

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > But I'd much prefer to pass not only the classzone from allocator
    > to memory balancing, but _also_ the order of the allocation,
    > and then shrink_mmap will know it doesn't worth to free anything
    > that isn't contigous on the order of the allocation that we need.

    I suspect that the proper way to do this is to just make another gfp_flag,
    which is basically another hint to the mm layer that we're doing a multi-
    page allocation and that the MM layer should not try forever to handle it.

    In fact, that's independent of whether it is a multi-page allocation or
    not. It might be something like __GFP_SOFT - you could use it with single
    pages too.

    Thinking about it, we do have it already. It's called !__GFP_HIGH, and it
    used by all the GFP_USER allocations.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:0.192 seconds]