    SubjectRe: Given an image, how can show its config?
    On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:33:31 +0200,
    > Daniel Phillips <> wrote:
    > >I'd just like to remind you of Alan Cox's suggestion about appending
    > >.config.gz to bzImage so that it doesn't get loaded into memory, and
    > >my suggestion to put there as well.
    > I worry about anything that increases the on disk size of bzImage, even
    > if the extra data does not get loaded into kernel memory.
    > 629590 2.2.16/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
    > 786273 2.4.0-test8/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
    > cat .config | gzip | wc -c
    > 107591
    > That would take my 2.4.0 bzImage to 893864, it does not leave much room
    > out of a 1.4Mb floppy for LILO files. We could have multiple make
    > targets, with and without appended config/map but that just complicates
    > the build environment.
    > This is all to protect those few poor 'administrators' who cannot keep
    > track of three separate files. We should not coddle such idiots, if
    > they cannot track 3 files they should not be configuring Linux.
    > Anybody who loses their config and will learn from their
    > mistake and only do it once or they will never learn, in which case
    > they are better off running Windows.
    > "Think of it as evolution in action".

    How about putting these files in the modules directory? That way, we have
    a nice consistent location for them.
    /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ etc. is a fair approximation, but
    you lose that every time the kernel source is changed, even if the new
    image isn't installed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:4.148 seconds]