SubjectRe: Given an image, how can show its config?
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:33:31 +0200,
> Daniel Phillips <> wrote:
> >I'd just like to remind you of Alan Cox's suggestion about appending
> >.config.gz to bzImage so that it doesn't get loaded into memory, and
> >my suggestion to put there as well.
> I worry about anything that increases the on disk size of bzImage, even
> if the extra data does not get loaded into kernel memory.
> 629590 2.2.16/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> 786273 2.4.0-test8/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> cat .config | gzip | wc -c
> 107591
> That would take my 2.4.0 bzImage to 893864, it does not leave much room
> out of a 1.4Mb floppy for LILO files. We could have multiple make
> targets, with and without appended config/map but that just complicates
> the build environment.
> This is all to protect those few poor 'administrators' who cannot keep
> track of three separate files. We should not coddle such idiots, if
> they cannot track 3 files they should not be configuring Linux.
> Anybody who loses their config and will learn from their
> mistake and only do it once or they will never learn, in which case
> they are better off running Windows.
> "Think of it as evolution in action".

How about putting these files in the modules directory? That way, we have
a nice consistent location for them.
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ etc. is a fair approximation, but
you lose that every time the kernel source is changed, even if the new
image isn't installed.