    SubjectRe: [patch] 2.4 version of my duplicate IP and MAC detection patch
    On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 04:09:41PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
    > I updated my duplicate IP detection patch to work with 2.4.
    > I announced the 2.2 version here last year, and several people expressed
    > interest in it, but it never made it into the kernel unfortunately. I asked
    > a few times and eventually gave up as I didn't want to appear overly pushy
    > and it got included in the kernels that I use (kernels from VA).
    > I didn't receive any negative comments, except for Alexey who believed the
    > check should be done in user space.

    You added a linear IP search to fast path ARP processing. The people running
    thousands of IP aliases will surely love you. You could at least use the
    ip_route_input output instead that arp_rcv computes anyways and check
    for RTN_LOCAL.

    BTW, the idea of doing it in user space is not to have a daemon running
    but just to do DAD once when you configure the ip address, like most
    other OSes do [as easily done with arping and a small script, see ipcfg
    from iproute2].

    Overall it looks like bloat.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:0.080 seconds]