    SubjectRe: networking todo, was Re: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2
       Date: 	Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:38:24 +0200
    From: "Andi Kleen" <ak@suse.de>

    We must be talking about different things. It of course detects it
    on ACK input, but only for data it did send itself. Every TCP detects
    reordering automatically on the input with the sequence number check,
    but all we still do is to send an ACK immediately and go into
    quickack mode.

    Or did I miss something ?

    [I talked a lot with Andrea about this during OLS, and we couldn't
    figure out a good way]

    Nevermind, I've apparently got my directions reversed. :-)
    I'll think about this a bit.

    Just use __cacheline_aligned instead, like I did with the
    ip_local_data in the patch you just rejected. There is still the
    problem that generic SMP x86 kernels use a 32byte cacheline. Not a
    problem currently because the only x86 SMP is pII/pIII which has
    32byte, but with Williamette/Athlon SMP it'll be a problem because
    these have 64byte and 128byte cache lines. With __cacheline_aligned
    it'll be easy though to pick up such changes.

    Ok, feel free to send me a patch which does only this. I may doctor
    it up a bit, be warned :-)

    On the other hand, the inetpeer code is only really exercised on
    machines that talk to lots and lots of destinations (=real
    servers), and 2.4 testing on such machines still has to begin.

    Given that 2.4 testing has not really begun yet I would guess that
    it is safer to remove it now @)

    True, but the following is what I'm really thinking about. Suppose a
    few weeks from now Alexey greets both of our mailboxes with a fabulous
    solution to the tw recycle masqeurading problem, wouldn't it be quite
    a pain in the ass to put back in and retest all the inetpeer code?

    Let's sit on this until Alexey gives a forecast about the
    possibilities of a solution in the near future ok?

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.024 / U:366.576 seconds]