SubjectRe: [patchlet] Removing unneeded line in vmtruncate() (2.4.0-t8p1)
On  0, Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > Rasmus, you introduced a bug because you removed the code but left the
> > comment around. now /* this should go into ->truncate */ is there and very
> > confusing - what should go into ->truncate?
>
> ... except that comment is there for purpose. Expanding ->truncate()
> should not set ->i_size until it's done with the metadata. You don't want
> mappings on the part currently being expanded. It doesn't matter for ext2
> and friends, but it's a problem for FAT and friends.

This is probably just me being a bit dense, but I am having problems
understanding your comment. The code path affected by my patch (and
where the comment is placed) is not part of the do_expand code path
(the "Expanding ->truncate()" from your comment?). And in do_expand
we already set i_size=offset before calling truncate(). Which you
seem to object to?

I guess my question could be boiled down to: Do you think my patch
fscks things up? Or is this a general comment on things that should
be changed?

--
Regards,
Rasmus(rasmus@jaquet.dk)

Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your
life. -Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a
federal anti-smoking campaign.