    SubjectRe: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2
       Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:07:20 -0600
    From: Cort Dougan <cort@fsmlabs.com>

    Do you really think that's forcing people to concentrate of fixing
    bugs? Tell me if you disagree, I'd like to understand how you see
    that. I see that 2.4 is getting all kinds of changes merged in
    that should be going on with 2.5. The recent VM changes have left
    us with deadlocks that we didn't have before. Shouldn't that have
    gone into 2.5 not 2.4?

    The VM performance in 2.4.x was a major regression from 2.2.x and is
    required to be fixed for 2.4.0 release. Riel did the bulk of this
    work, and it's now just dealing with a few remaining details on very
    low memory systems. His changes fixed a major problem, and
    structurally I believe his changes are completely sound and were
    justifiably included in 2.4.x.

    So I think this was a bad example.

    I'll say this much, if 2.5.x existed I'd be spending most of my time
    on a clean zero-copy TCP framework instead of walking over the net
    stack and sparc64 code verifying things every day, that is for sure.
    So yes, I am really thinking that it is forcing people to concentrate
    on fixing bugs, because at least it is doing so for me. I know that
    the faster 2.4.x happens the faster the "fun" 2.5.x stuff comes along.

    And hey, guess what, as a result of this right now my "non-driver
    caused" core/ipv4/ipv6 networking bug list is pretty much empty right
    now. Only a few netfilter glitches appear to remain.

    And hey, if you want the real proof, believe that even Alexey
    Kuznetsov has not worked on a new feature in nearly 2 months. :-))

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.044 / U:29.940 seconds]