SubjectRe: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)
On  18 Sep, this message from Gérard Roudier echoed through cyberspace:
>> > All I wanted was a function that allows the driver to decide that which
>> > needs to be enabled.
>> >
>> > pci_enable_device(struct pci_dev *dev, byte enable_mask)
>> >
>> > This would allow drivers to enable that which it needs and not weird out
>> > the hardware that does not like all of this extra fluff.
>> Sounds not too daft
>> static inline int pci_enable_device(struct pci_device *dev)
>> {
>> return pci_enable_device_features(USE_IO|USE_MM);
>> }
> And what about other features ?
> I mean:
> - Bus Master
> - Memory Write and Invalidate
> - Parity Error response

This should probably be handled in arch-dependant code. So make a
pci_enable_device() per arch. The point beeing that only this code has a
chance to know some of the details of the PCI implementation on this
platform/arch. Bus master and MemWI don't hurt, but I guess enabling
parity can halt the bus. So you want to be careful... So:

static inline int pci_enable_device(struct pci_device *dev)
return pci_enable_device_features(~ENABLE_NONE);
and let pci_enable_device_features() chose which features make sense/are

Michel Lanners | " Read Philosophy. Study Art.
23, Rue Paul Henkes | Ask Questions. Make Mistakes.
L-1710 Luxembourg |
email | | Learn Always. "