    SubjectRe: The INN/mmap bug

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > >
    > > Looks sane. But I really wonder if we could just do it in
    > > create_page_buffers() if page is up-to-date. OTOH it would require attempt
    > > to map them all. Comments?
    >
    > That would certainly simplify a lot.
    >
    > And as we've seen, simplifying this area would not necessarily be a bad
    > thing ;)
    >
    > Right now I'll just do the minimal fix, though, I think.

    Fine with me. I'll do the full analysis tonight, anyway, and try to write
    down the rules for that stuff. One thing that makes me seriously uneasy
    is the fact that VM knows about ->buffers - I would be much happier if all
    this stuff would be contained in fs/buffer.c. IOW, I'm not sure that
    block_flushpage()/try_to_free_buffers() is a happy camper.

    I'm not proposing it for immediate inclusion, but I don't feel good about
    all this code - current rules are too complex and rely on details of
    VM/buffer interaction too much for my taste. It may be correct, but it's
    not obviously correct...

    [mingo, Daniel and Chris added to cc for obvious reasons]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.024 / U:66.656 seconds]