    SubjectRe: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)
    On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > >
    > > Okay who can teach me how to force hooks and ram this down the PPC
    > >
    > > pci_write_config_word(dev, PCI_COMMAND, 0x05);
    >
    > If the PPC PCI code doesn't do this, then that's a PPC architecture bug.
    >
    > DO NOT DO THIS IN THE DRIVER! Fix the real problem instead.
    >
    > Linus

    The PCI Specification states, in part, that either the BIOS or the
    driver has to enable the device. So, many drivers find that the device
    has not been enabled. This is normal and necessary because many/most
    PCI hardware had better not be enabled until an ISR is in-place.

    So, the only safe place you can enable the device is in the driver.
    It is normal and the printk()'s warning about this should be removed.

    Also, the PCI_COMMAND should probably be 0x07 for all devices. The
    ones that "stay" are the ones actually supported.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.040 / U:29.596 seconds]