SubjectRe: Linux RAS

The comparison is was making was with OS/2, not MVS, because:

1) all too often MVS is cited as being the paradigm for RAS when infact
there are special architectural features, as you've pointed out, that might
detract from a generalised comparison.
2) OS/2 is an x86 based OS so has the problems, like Linux, of not being
locked into tighlty controlled H/W architecture.
3) we completely reversed the serviceability situation for OS/2 and even
exceeded the RAS capabilities of MVS in the area of dynamic tracing.

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
PISC, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au> on 15-09-2000 01:07:40 PM

Please respond to Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>