    SubjectRe: Microsoft NT/W2K/Linux NTFS Repair/Debug Tool

    Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    >

    > > Yes Andre, they did, they accussed me of knowingly conspiring with Linus
    > > to provide full NTFS on Linux based on the email you and I sent to
    >
    > Wait, this was a proposal of mine to MicroSoft to grant permission
    > development in a clean room model that only used white papers or other
    > stuff that could be extracted passively.
    >
    > I alos pointed out that this simple act of allowing open development of a
    > public NTFS would help them blow holes in the DOJ monopoly issue.
    >
    > > them. The agreements they signed with us were very liberal, and allowed
    > > us to create any tools and NTFS stuff we wanted, there were no
    > > non-competes, or anything to stop us from providing stuff on Linux.

    The way they took this was that we had changed sides in the war, since I
    was perceived to be approaching them with you. Here's what they said
    about you,

    "... We are concernd about the veracity of your associates. Despite the
    representations they have made to you, we have not been taking GPL code
    from Linux and using internally at Microsoft. This approach by these
    Linux people is little more than an attempt to [blackmail Microsoft]
    with unsubstanciated rumors. We see no benefit whatsoever to provided
    NTFS R/W capabilities on Linux ..."

    Not very nice to be sure. I know that black and white markings (like a
    penguin) are in style right now, but white and black stripes are not !
    :-)

    > Oh, where is your sence of ententainment.
    > You would have the backing of GEEKS with GUNS if it go messy, at least
    > this GEEK.

    I have the ability to litigate against them. They know this and I doubt
    will go any further than to bluster and threaten.

    Jeff

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Andre Hedrick
    > The Linux ATA/IDE guy
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.043 / U:1.448 seconds]