    >>>>> "jamal" == jamal  <hadi@cyberus.ca> writes:

    jamal> The FF code of the tulip does have skb recycling code. And i
    jamal> belive Jes' acenic code does or did at some point. Robert
    jamal> Olson and I were thinking of taking out that code out of the
    jamal> tulip for reasons such as you talk about (and the thought maybe
    jamal> that the per-CPU slab might have obsoleted that
    jamal> requirement). We did some tests with 2.4.0-test7 and were
    jamal> suprised to observe that at high rate of input packets, it
    jamal> still made as a big a difference as 7000 packets per second ;->
    jamal> i.e we got 7Kpps more by using skb recycling.

    I tried recycling in the acenic driver, but after adding Ingo's early
    per CPU slab caches I couldn't see any measurable performance gain
    from using recycling.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:29.468 seconds]