    SubjectRe: NFS locking bug -- limited mtime resolution means nfs_lock() does not provide coherency guarantee

    > On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 02:53:02PM +0200, Trond Myklebust
    > wrote:
    >> No. Things fall in and out of the inode cache all the
    >> time. That's a vicious circle that's going to lead to a lot of
    >> unnecessary traffic.

    > The traffic is not "unnecessary" if it's needed to work with
    > today's NFS servers and get correct results. We need an
    > absolute guarantee in nfs_lock() that we won't read stale data,
    > we need it when working with non-linux NFS servers, and we need
    > it today.

    That's the joy of free software: you're free to patch in any hack you
    and your clients need.

    The goal of the official 2.4.x kernel however should IMO be to follow
    the specs which is what we do now.
    If current Linux servers are broken w.r.t. NFS specs then a hack to
    the Linux client won't fix them, and they will continue to break on
    non-Linux clients.
    NFS has a mechanism for solving this problem, and it is a mechanism
    that most (if not all) non-linux servers implement. That is what we
    need to implement too if we're serious about conforming to the

    I'm quite willing to help fix the server (something I indeed think
    should be done), but to further obscure the code in the client with
    yet another bandaid for broken servers is not something I personally
    will help do.

    Perhaps Linus will indeed accept such a patch, in which case you (or
    anybody else) are quite free to construct it and pass it on to him.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.057 / U:121.348 seconds]