    SubjectRe: NFS locking bug -- limited mtime resolution means nfs_lock() does not provide coherency guarantee
    From

    > But "ctime and file size are the same" does not prove that the
    ^^^^^ mtime
    > file is unchanged. That's the root of this problem, and why
    > NFS_CACHEINV(inode) is not enough to ensure coherency.

    Yes, but I just demonstrated that messing around with the client is a
    hack, not a solution to this situation.
    It's a hack because it is not compatible with the expected behaviour
    of NFS clients. The NFSv4 draft demonstrates what the expected
    behaviour is, and illustrates what we have to implement for a generic
    fix (one that works on all clients -- not hacked Linux ones).

    This is why I'm saying the correct solution is to get the server to
    change mtime. To use the 'microseconds' field that is supported by the
    NFS protocol, and that we currently set to 0.

    Cheers,
    Trond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:4.673 / U:0.016 seconds]