    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb

    On 11 Sep 2000, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

    > H> In the end, this is Linus' game. If you want to play, you'll
    > H> have to pay the admission price he sets.
    > Is it fair to ask about the purpose of Linux?
    > The purpose I most often hear talks about world domination and about
    > having the best O/S on the maximum number of platforms, with appeals
    > to "open source" to ensure quality control and technical progress.
    > That goal says nothing about the grain of the wood or the vanity of
    > the carpenter. It is all about being of service to a greater social
    > good. Maybe I misunderstood.
    > The analogy to typing hex codes or toggling code at the console is
    > also apt. Unix ascended over Multix in no small part because of C,
    > which drew sneers from the trad programmer of the day. Personally, I

    That's "Multics" and while I agree that C is nicer than PL/I, the latter
    is _not_ an assembler or autocode. Multics was written in HLL.

    As for the "greater social good" (or world domination, for that matter)
    - excuse me, but quite a few of us couldn't care less. It's a decent UNIX,
    there is a lot of things making that kernel more interesting than other
    ones and it's fun to work on. FSF is -> that way, if you need the "social
    good" crap - take Hurd and enjoy the featuritis-ridden bloatware.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.030 / U:10.452 seconds]