SubjectRe: Notebook disk spindown
Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 wrote:
> > Would it be possible to detect when the disk spins up, and do the flush then?
> Yes if you had a continuious polling of power status wrt standby.

I think the following flushing policy would work almost as well, while
remaining generic:

- if there's a read that is not handled from the buffer cache, flush
(write) all dirty buffers
- if we need to flush (write) one dirty buffers, flush all others too

This wouldn't catch cases like an explicit spin-up without data I/O,
but I don't think this is much of a problem in real life.

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /