    SubjectRe: Notebook disk spindown
    Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 wrote:
    > > Would it be possible to detect when the disk spins up, and do the flush then?
    > Yes if you had a continuious polling of power status wrt standby.

    I think the following flushing policy would work almost as well, while
    remaining generic:

    - if there's a read that is not handled from the buffer cache, flush
    (write) all dirty buffers
    - if we need to flush (write) one dirty buffers, flush all others too

    This wouldn't catch cases like an explicit spin-up without data I/O,
    but I don't think this is much of a problem in real life.

    - Werner

    / Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.020 / U:187.480 seconds]