SubjectRe: A new config program -- anyone interested?
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Paul Vojta wrote:

>All of the currently supported ways of configuring the kernel
>("make config", "make menuconfig", and "make xconfig") are fundamentally
>interactive in nature. When I compile the kernel, I typically set
>20-30 choices to non-default settings, and have come up with various
>elaborate ways to keep track of those settings when I move to a new
>kernel.
>
>Eventually, I decided to write my own kernel config program.
>
>I have called it "qconfig" (for lack of a better name). It works as
>follows.

You've probably allready been told this, but...

When you do a make menuconfig, etc.. there is a choice at the
bottom of the opening screen to "SAVE configuration" and "LOAD
configuration". After configuring your kernel, choose "SAVE" and
then enter a filename like "/boot/config-2.2.16-1" or whatever
you'll remember it as. Next time you run menuconfig, just pick
"load config" and then give it the filename. It's been like this
since 2.0.0.

Also, if you have an installed kernel source tree that you've
compiled and you want to recompile it for some reason you can
use:

make oldconfig

So any of your custom settings can allready be saved by the
kernel config process.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.030 / U:0.108 seconds]