SubjectRe: Adaptec 2930U2 problem followup
Date
Doug Ledford wrote:
> In the
> absence of an MP table and SMP, the likely culprit is a bad entry in the PCI
> config space from the BIOS. It's possible then that going into the MB BIOS
> and triggering the reset configuration space stuff *might* make a difference
> on how IRQs are assigned by the BIOS and what gets placed into the PCI config
> space of the card by the BIOS and might make linux work.

Saw the "reset config" option on the PnP/PCI BIOS setup screen and tried
it. No difference, but a good observation.

> Windows probably works on this machine because it has a special case handler
> for whatever is going on (or else we have a genuine PCI bug here that we need
> to fix and it's only triggered on certain rare MBs like this one).

Silver stars to the folks that suggested checking the "plug-n-play OS"
BIOS setting: it *was* set to "yes", but setting it to "no" didn't fix
the problem. It *did* change the behavior of Linux slightly in that
the aic7xxx driver saw something at (0,0,0,0) and was trying to talk to
it at 10 MB/s. That's the only thing the driver saw, however... I still
got the infinite timeout/reset loop.

Next thing to try is a different/better motherboard. Once I pluck the
old one, if Martin et. al. would like to try and figure out what's up
with it as far as PCI oddities and/or interrupt handling, I'd be happy to
make it available. Thanks for the help, folks... I *do* appreciate it.

--
Bob Tracy
rct@wlk.com