    SubjectSpeed increase on SMP in 2.4.0 test 6 and up
    Hi there,
    I have tested two servers now since the release of test6 in production
    mode with samba fileserver and with nfs and with MIMER RDBMS

    Configuration was the following:

    Abit BP6 with 2 * Celeron 466, no overclocking
    768 MB RAM
    6 * Fujitsu UW SCSI 9GB
    2 * Tekram 390 F Controller
    All filesystems running reiserfs 3.16 hash r5
    AVM FritzCard PCI with rawIP setup for connection between two servers

    The speed increase against 2.2.16 with the same config and reiserfs was
    roughly triple on samba response time and double on the rdbms.

    The ISDN connection throughput increased extremely and the CPU usage
    went down by half.

    This is not measured with tools, but with 75 samba clients, a connected
    life stock trading server on the internet using apache and php4 and
    roughly 20.000 to 50.000 db transactions a day (low volume since it's a
    beta test right now).

    I am heavily impressed, besides my shared memory problem with Informix
    and Sybase
    this is excellent.

    Michael Bielicki

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:5.480 / U:0.012 seconds]