SubjectRe: FW: Crypto
On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Linda Walsh wrote:
> > That's because you couldn't distribute *new* copies. I would
> > surmise that there was zero effort to recall copies that had been
> > downloaded.
> >
> > I could see that americans couldn't speak or express** coding
> > algorithms after a new cryptography ban went into effect, but I
> > don't see that books already sold, or programs downloaded or source
> > given away would be affected.
>
> The FreeSWAN folks would want to distribute works _derived_ from the
> code written by the US citizens.
>
> That would make the new code a product of US citizens and others (even
> though the process of deriving the new work would not be done by US
> citizens), and therefore still subject to the US/Canada treaty.

This is BS .. there is no law I know of that makes the US laws apply. In
fact as it sits we (Canada) are a fun loop hole in the US laws.

We are exempt from the crypto export restrictions but have no restrictions
of our own. The only thing they could do is try to go after the Americans
who contribute.

That is why the Canadian government itself was promoting crypto buisness
for a while. It's actually too bad the US is being forced to change it's
laws in this area... continued US stupidity in this area could actually be
quite proffitable for us.

The only laws that apply at all AFIK are intellectual property rights and
that won't be a problem after next month when the patents expire.

> > However, it sounds like Canada views has bowed down to the US
> > government giving up protections for its own citizens if there has
> > been US involvement.
>
> Exactly that.

BS Why do you think openssh.com and other projects get hosted in
Canada? I'm sure if the US had their way they would all be shut down by
now.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.084 / U:0.028 seconds]