SubjectRe: RFC: design for new VM
On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:08:52PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> here is a (rough) draft of the design for the new VM, as
> discussed at UKUUG and OLS. The design is heavily based
> on the FreeBSD VM subsystem - a proven design - with some
> tweaks where we think things can be improved.
>
> Can the differences between your system and what FreeBSD has be
> isolated or contained

You're right, the differences between FreeBSD VM and the new
Linux VM should be clearly indicated.

> I ask this because the FreeBSD VM works _very_ well compared to
> recent linux kernels; if/when the new system is implement it
> would nice to know if performance differences are tuning related
> or because of 'tweaks'.

Indeed. The amount of documentation (books? nah..) on VM
is so sparse that it would be good to have both systems
properly documented. That would fill a void in CS theory
and documentation that was painfully there while I was
trying to find useful information to help with the design
of the new Linux VM...

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/