    SubjectRe: FW: Crypto
    Date
    Followup to:  <3989D185.65820D85@storm.ca>
    By author: Sandy Harris <sandy@storm.ca>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Gerhard Mack wrote:
    >
    > The whole discussion of Canadian law is actually off-topic. The question
    > is not whether we can distribute FreeS/WAN. We can, both from Canada and
    > from the European countries with the web sites. If policies in one or
    > more of those countries changes, we'll deal with that.
    >
    > The question here is whether crypto code can now be included in kernels
    > distributed from the US, since US regulations have recently changed.
    > It appears it can be, so it seems obvious it should be. Let's get
    > back on topic and discuss what needs to be done to make that happen.
    >
    > Linus et al:
    >
    > What needs to be done to get the FreeS/WAB KLIPS (kernel IPSEC)
    > patches into the standard kernel distribution? Or should the target
    > be a KLIPS module that plugs cleanly into a standard kernel? What
    > about the encrypting file system stuff?
    >
    > Anyone:
    >
    > Currently FreeS/WAN and the random driver each contain copies of MD5
    > and SHA hash source code. There may be other duplications I'm not
    > aware of. What needs to be done to get the various kernel crypto
    > components to share code? How does this relate to similar work in
    > user space?

    Hi Sandy,

    Thanks for bringing the discussion back on topic. You may want to
    observe that the patch formerly known as the International Kernel
    Patch (kerneli patch) is now archived on kernel.org as well as on
    kerneli.org. This, we hope, is an early step toward integration into
    the mainstream kernel. This will almost certainly *not* happen for
    2.4.0, but may very well happen in 2.4.x for x > 0, and should
    definitely happen in 2.5.

    You probably want to get the kerneli patch and make your cryptographic
    interfaces match as well as possible. Note that the kerneli patch is
    of Norwegian origin -- the maintainer is Alexander Kjeldaas
    <astor@fast.no> -- and so you can completely bypass the U.S. if you
    want to make sure. Eliminating duplication probably centers around
    creating a common in-kernel cryptographic API, and making everything
    relevant (FreeS/WAN, kerneli, and random) use it.

    Most likely, there will be no overlap between kernel and user space
    cryptography, except perhaps in the support of hardware devices.
    Software cryptography is almost certainly better done in user space
    completely.

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt